Thursday, July 28, 2016

Shot Through the Heart: My Daughters Have Questions about Inoculations

Scene: driving in the van. The girls are discussing inoculations. They determine that all together they have received shots on their thighs, their bums, and their shoulders. They want to know if it's possible to receive shots anywhere else . . . 
A chorus of voices from the back of the van peppers me with questions:
Have you ever been shot in the shin? The stomach? The neck? The thigh?
Then Leila calls out: "Have you ever been shot in the heart?"
Yes, Leila. Metaphorically speaking. But then, haven't we all?
As I drive, memories of old girlfriends and painful breakups come flooding in. But so do the lyrics of a Bon Jovi song from my youth. And I can't help but smile.
Music video by Bon Jovi performing You Give Love A Bad Name. (C) 1986 The Island Def Jam Music Group
YOUTUBE.COM

No comments:

Post a Comment