Monday, August 15, 2016

In Which My Daughters Debate the Merits of My Beginning a Regular Exercise Program

Episode 1: lunchtime

This morning Katie took the kids with her to exercise with a group of friends. They have returned from that adventure and are now eating lunch as I sit on the couch grading student papers. The 9 y/o and 8 y/o are talking about exercise. A moment ago, the 8 y/o wondered aloud if "dad" likes to exercise. The 9 y/o's guess was that I do not. So they asked me. I told them I *should* exercise to be healthy, but admitted that I do not like to exercise. The 9 y/o turned to the 8 y/o and said, "See! I told you!" The 8 y/o then said that she thinks I should start exercising regularly. And the 9 y/o said, "No! If he exercises, he'll lose his stomach, and I like it. It makes such a comfortable pillow!"
Well, far be it from me to deprive my oldest daughter of a perfectly comfortable pillow!

Episode 2: dinnertime

The dinnertime conversation was similar to today's lunchtime conversation. Clearly the subject of exercise is on the girls' minds. The 6 y/o instructed me, "Dad, you should start doing curl-ups [crunches?] so that your stomach is not so fat." After a short pause, she tried to mitigate the damage. "Not that it's really fat, but I think I could bounce on your tummy."
Nice mitigation job, 6 y/o! Niiiice! That made it all better.

No comments:

Post a Comment