Saturday, August 27, 2016

Tales of a Third-Grade Bathroom Monitor

When I picked her up from school on Wednesday, L. announced that she had been given a class job that she will keep until October. She is now the "Bathroom Monitor" for the girls. She sounded excited, and said it was a "pretty cool" job. 

She further explained that the job entails making sure only six girls are in the bathroom at any given time. So, after the first six girls go in, she has the remainder of her classmates wait in line until a spot in a stall opens up. And one by one she lets them use the john. She also apparently monitors usage of the drinking fountain.

On Friday, I overheard the following conversation between L. and S.
L. "Today a girl was in a stall and another girl in my class went in and was banging on the door of the stall really hard. She wanted to use that stall even though there was already somebody in it. She could have used an empty one, but It's her favorite stall, and she'll only use that one."
S.: "[One of my friends] always uses the fifth stall. She won't use any of the others."
Huh. I guess it's not just college students who are creatures of habit, always sitting at the same desk class after class. Though I've never seen any of my students squabble over their favorite seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment