Friday, June 3, 2016

In which my nine-year-old daughter complains about the dearth of electronic devices in our house

Yesterday after S. came home from school, she told me that she got into an argument with her best friend over whose family was the poorest. I do not know what evidence the friend used to support her position, but S. pointed to our alleged lack of electronic devices as proof of impoverishment. Apparently, she was still upset about the matter, because she got right up in my grill and angrily shouted, "Everyone else has smart phones and ipads and all sorts of electronics dad! All my friends have phones! L's friends have phones! But we don't! We don't have any electronics! None at all!"
Pfffft, young lady! What do you call the radio / cassette player I got for my ninth birthday, huh? That's electronic! What about the Sony Walkman I got in 1985? Huh, huh? That's electronic! And so is the stereo system / record player I got in 1987. And the stereo your mother got when she was a teenager.
We also have a desktop computer and two laptop computers. Yeah, I know two of them are broken and the other one doesn't work at all, but we *still* own them. Our house is practically overflowing with electronic devices, kid!

"No electronics," my eye!

No comments:

Post a Comment